Hi, I'm David.
Magento Developer based in Utah.
Drop Shipper Integration with REST
Theoretically drop shipping offers enormous benefits for the online retailer in terms of inventory and cash flow management. My client wanted these benefits for three important product lines.
The key to making this happen was providing a smooth pathway through checkout for customers buying drop-ship products and seamless integration with the drop shipper in terms of transferring orders and getting fulfillment updates in return.
Checkout Customisation & AJAX
The client had a checkout based on horizontal tabs for each checkout step with only native Magento functionality. What they wanted was (1) a concertina one page checkout responsive across customer devices of all types, (2) a sidebar showing basket items with product images, (3) the removal of an unnecessary payment selection step as customers were directed to an external payment page following review and (4) the ability to receive charitable donations at the review step of checkout.
Payment Gateway Rewrite
The client hosted their Magento 1.13 site themselves and their preference was to utilize an integrated Payment Gateway extension. However, the costs associated with PCI compliance encouraged them to look at a hosted Payment Gateway solution. The requirement for this project was to optimize customer experience in checking out with a hosted solution – to make checkout as seamless as possible and, specifically, to avoid losing cart items when back-paging to Magento from the hosted payment page or when returning to the Magento failure page when card details were not accepted.
Inventory Management Integration with SOAP
The client uses an external inventory management system to manage their inventory, which supports the Magento store as well as other brick and mortar stores selling items from the same warehouse. The system updates product quantities in the Magento catalog and Magento updates the inventory management system when sales are made. The ongoing requirement is to enhance and upgrade the interface as determined by changes made elsewhere.
Performance Improvement & Cache Management
We wanted to optimize site-wide page load times as far as we could and the resulting customer experience. We were also cognizant of specific issues relating to load times for CMS pages, and the impact that merchandising by the ecommerce team in backend Admin was having on concurrent frontend page load times.
Page & Email Responsivity
I’ve met a host of challenging Magento frontend requirements: One client wanted a new build Magento store based on Community edition with a look and feel that would set them apart and provide great customer experience across all platforms. Another, on Enterprise 1.13, wanted to bin its static transactional emails and replace them with emails that were engaging, responsive and provided product images of an order, related products also available, or the contents of their abandoned cart.
Other recent projects
- Integrating Wordpress with Magento to provide an integrated blogging and event broadcasting capability — here.
- SQL scripts including CRUD for product catalog, shipping prices maintenance, EAV attributes, quotes and orders.
- Enhancing Magento’s newsletter functionality including applying catalog purchases to subscribers by product type
- Multi-store instances including stores for specific product categories and customer groups
- Magmi Product Import configuration and workflow design for administrators including creation of macro driven Excel templates — resulting in exceptional performance improvements in catalog maintenance
Here’s a synopsis of my recent work: From September 2014 to October 2016, I was Lead Magento Developer for the award winning Natural History Museum e-store in London. The store markets a diverse range of products world wide in behalf of this iconic British brand, including framed and canvas prints from the Wildlife Photography of the Year competition, one of the most prestigious photography contests in the world. The store was voted Small eCommerce Company of the Year at the UK ecommerce awards 2015, and Best Online Shop at the ACE awards 2016.
The range of work undertaken for the NHM e-store covers many of the projects outlined on this site, including integration with REST and SOAP and complex customization of their Magento Enterprise 1.13 instance.
Prior Magento development spanning a period of almost 5 years from December 2011 has included development for a range of companies, large and small. I’ve also been a consultant for a number of companies including RAPP, ITNet and Mouchel.
- Projects: Building complex modules with Magento Enterprise and Community for catalog, checkout, admin, price rules, total collectors, payment gateways, shipping, export/ import, newsletter, transactional emails, design and layout, reporting and multiple stores.
- Integration: REST & SOAP to integrate with warehouse, finance, shipping and drop shippers.
- Technologies: OOP with PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, SASS, XML, XSLT, JQuery, Prototype/ Scriptaculous, AJAX
- Performance & Upgrade: Magento performance enhancement including caching, database & code cleanup and server architecture. Magento version upgrades for Community & Enterprise.
- Tools: PHPStorm, X-Debug, Magicento, MySQL Workbench, FileZilla, SSH, JMeter, n98-magerun, SVN, GIT, Photoshop and Firebug
- Ecommerce consultancy: Analytics and GTM, SEO, PPC and Ecommerce strategy